It’s official: it’s 2018. After relaxing holiday break followed by Vacation care for some of you, we are excited at Network to begin another year of working with OOSH services throughout NSW. The beginning of a new year is always a time for reflection, and many of us like to make personal resolutions such as increasing exercise, eating healthier etc.… If you’re finding yourself struggling to get your brain running at full speed it might be worth your while to take a look over 6 possible work resolutions you’ll want to consider in 2018
- Establish some work goals. Whether it’s a new challenge within your current role or a new job or a move into a new industry, it’s important to think about what you want out of your working life. Don’t spend the year sitting in a job you don’t enjoy – life is short and there are plenty of good opportunities within the OOSH industry!
- Plan your time off. Just as important as setting work goals is having planned holidays and time off. We all know the importance of a healthy work-life balance. Time off provides time to re-engergise, is with friends and family and is good for us…
- Take a lunch break everyday… There’s a reason they’re provided by law – regular time away from your normal work is crucial for your mental and physical health especially when working with children. As more and more staff in OOSH work full time it is important regular breaks are factored into the roster.
- Reduce your overtime. The National Children’s Services award recommends a maximum of 38 hours’ work per week. Working overtime all the time can lead to health issues. Working with children can be stressful and time off is essential for creating the right work-life balance.
- Keep learning new things. Even if it’s just one thing, adding a new expertise to your skill-set boosts your confidence and helps demonstrate current up to date knowledge around best practice. . Start the year by creating a wish list to professional development you want to attend…
- Do that one thing you’ve been putting off. Is there something you’ve been wanting to do, but haven’t got around to doing, perhaps because of a lack of time, resources or confidence? Perhaps you’d love to lead a workshop, do a new qualification, get a mentor (or mentor someone) or even be more involved with Network… Well, there’s no time like the present! There’s nothing like setting yourself a challenge and achieving it, so make it happen in 2018!
Have fun ticking off these work resolutions throughout the year and make sure to celebrate your achievements. After all, you’ve earned it!